Patients are evaluated clinically for nutritional status and appropriate recommendations made. Below are just a very few of the most common nutrients found to be deficient.
Magnesium deficiency is quite common. The Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) has magnesium to a large extent refined out of it. The following are symptoms of a magnesium deficiency:
- Any Muscle Spasm
- Leg cramp / charley horse / muscle twitch
- VasoSPASM / migraine / fingers turn white in cold
- BronchoSPASM / asthma
- Uterine SPASM / menstrual cramps
- Esophageal SPASM / difficulty swallowing
- Anxiety, irritability, depression
- Muscular pain / trigger points / post injury pain that persists
- Jump or startle easily
- Poor attention, concentration
- Kidney stones
- Heart rhythm abnormalities / palpitations
- High blood pressure
- Eclampsia of pregnancy
- Conventional current belief is that the thyroid gland is the only place in the body that needs or uses iodine.
- Dose needed to satisfy the whole body is much greater than the Government RDA (which is based on goiter prevention)
- RDA=0.15 mg iodine. To meet whole body needs dose needed= approximately 12.5 daily. (The Japanese get 12-13 mg of iodine daily in their native diet- mainly from seaweed)
Numerous Benefits of Iodine
For more information- see Dr. David Brownstein's book on iodine called "Iodine- Why you need it, Why you can't live without it". Go to drbrownstein.com to order.
- Necessary for optimal health of the thyroid gland. May help improve some thyroid gland dysfunction (hypothyroid, hyperthyroid, goiter, nodules/cysts)
- Iodine is needed in the rest of the body to help utilize the thyroid hormone.
- Iodine thins secretions therefore may improve mucous protection of all mucous membranes (e.g. sinuses, lungs, GI tract).
- This function also helps prevent and resolve cystic problems in the body (e.g. breast, ovarian, skin (sebaceous) cysts).
- This function may also improve lacrimal and salivary gland function (e.g. dry eyes and mouth)
- Iodine is a disinfectant. In the proper concentration in the body it disinfects body water and secretions (analogous to chlorinating your swimming pool)
- Iodine may help detoxify an over-stimulating carcinogenic form of estrogen (16 alpha hydroxy estrone) hence lower cancer risk.
- Iodine (in total body adequate doses) displaces toxic elements in our bodies, which look like iodine and are held onto by an iodine deficient body (e.g. bromide, chlorine, fluoride).
- Iodine seems to be particularly protective of the breast. It can help resolve breast tenderness, fibrocystic breast disease and likely decreases cancer risk.
Essential fatty acids
- Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) are necessary fats that humans cannot synthesize, and must be obtained through diet.
- The American diet does not include adequate balance of essential fats.
- EFAs support the cardiovascular, reproductive, immune, and nervous systems.
- EFAs are needed to manufacture and repair cell membranes
- The brain is made up of a high proportion of essential fatty acids.
- A primary function of EFAs is the production of prostaglandins, which regulate body functions such as heart rate, blood pressure, blood clotting, fertility, conception, and play a role in immune function by regulating inflammation.
- EFA deficiency is linked with serious health conditions, such as heart attacks, cancer, insulin resistance, asthma, lupus, schizophrenia, depression, postpartum depression, accelerated aging, stroke, obesity, diabetes, arthritis, ADHD, and Alzheimer's Disease, among others.
- Other symptoms of EFA deficiency are:
- Dry skin
- Dry hair
- Weak nails
- Excess ear wax
Recently EFAs and related compounds called Phospholipids are being used to treat the body for fat soluble toxins / neurotoxins we may accumulate. Read the Detoxx book for more information (detoxxbox.com).
For great information on healing with nutrition read:
The Patients Guide to Nutritional Healing, by Jonathan V. Wright, M.D.
Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It, by David Brownstein, M.D.
Please consult a nutritionally oriented doctor before starting any nutritional supplementation program
Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration